I am appealing to all EdTech people on this one!
I was chatting with a university friend on Saturday about becoming a 1:1 tablet school, providing a networked system of tablets for the majority of students to use.
She is lucky enough to have the dilemma between installing a Windows 8 network of tablets vs. the iOS on Apple iPad. We spent a while weighing up the obvious pros and cons between the two, and I agreed that I’d put it to my PLN for some further ideas and discussion to help direct her school’s final decision.
Here are some of the main points of our discussion:
- Apple is already immersed in our staff/students’ lives via iPhones/personal iPads etc.
- The iPad is very flexible in terms of charging and syncing.
- School networks seem to have more flexibility with Windows OS.
- It is a huge investment to go 1:1 tablet/student ratio. Will tablets replace netbooks? Have they already done so?
- What is the lifespan of the current tablet computers. Is it a worthwhile investment?
Please help out by adding any comments/suggestions/links below to help get this discussion started. It is a discussion that is very likely to take place in many schools as we see Windows (perhaps?) begin to close the gap on Apple’s dominant market share in education and elsewhere.
I look forward to reading and sharing your comments!
Which system do you use in your school?
What do you see as any obvious pros/cons of choosing either system for a school network set-up?
Have you seen this discussion taking place elsewhere? Or even had it at your school? Please share your ideas in the comments space below.